Transporting explosives

A licence to transport explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances allows you to possess, transport and store these substances.

A licence to transport does not permit the import or export of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.

You can only transport the products specified in the licence.

This licence can be issued to you, or a nominated person on behalf of a company.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • hold a current security clearance (previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL)) and be able to ensure only people with this clearance have unsupervised access
  • have a legitimate reason for transporting security sensitive dangerous substances
  • have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.

Application process

First complete the application to transport explosives.

Then take the completed application form to an Australia Post office along with:

  • a security clearance application form (if your internet browser won't open this form print out this static version) or your current security clearance (or UHL)
  • a completed criminal history check form if you do not hold a current security clearance (or UHL)
  • 100 points of ID (originals only)
  • a security plan
  • details of any explosives licences held by the applicant or nominated person
  • details of any relevant qualifications
  • an employer reference or a statement of experience for the nominated person

You should also review the dangerous goods notification requirements and if required lodge the following with us:

If you are transporting explosives on a prohibited route you will need to fill out an application to approve transport of explosives on prohibited routes.

All application fees are listed in our list of fees and charges

More information is available in our guide to applying to transport explosives or by calling 13 10 50.

Special requirements

Person responsible for the licence

Companies must nominate a person, involved in the management of the company, to be responsible for the licence. If the nominated person ceases to be the nominated person for that licence, for example if they resign, then the company must nominate another person to take responsibility for the licence within seven days.

Security plans

You must submit a security plan (including a site plan and schedule) to ensure all explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances are held safely and securely.

Obligations or duties

You must advise us within 14 days of any changes to your licence or contact details, as well as any changes to the type, quantity and location of explosives or security sensitive ammonium nitrate.

We may suspend or cancel a licence or impose penalties on licence holders who do not comply with the conditions of the licence or requirements in the legislation.