Manufacture explosives

The licence to manufacture explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances allows you to possess, purchase, use, store, supply and dispose of these substances for manufacturing purposes.

The licence to manufacture can also allow the transport and manufacture of explosives in a mobile processing unit.

This licence can be issued to you, or a nominated person on behalf of a company.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • hold a current security clearance (previously called an unsupervised handling licence (UHL)) and be able to ensure only people with this clearance have unsupervised access
  • have a legitimate reason for using security sensitive dangerous substances
  • have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.

Application process

First complete the application to manufacture explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances.

Then take the completed application form to an Australia Post office along with:

  • a completed interactive security clearance application form (if your internet browser won't open this form print out this static version) or your current security clearance and a copy of it (or UHL)
  • a completed criminal history check form if you do not hold a current security clearance (or UHL).
  • 100 points of ID (originals only)
  • a security plan
  • details of any explosives licences held by the applicant or nominated person
  • details of any relevant qualifications
  • an employer reference or a statement of experience for the nominated person.

If you only manufacture explosives for immediate use, you may apply for a blasting explosives user's licence and request additional authorisation to manufacture for immediate use only.

You should also review the dangerous goods notification requirements and if required lodge the following with us:

All application fees are listed in our list of fees and charges.

For more information see our guide to applying to manufacture explosives and/or security
sensitive dangerous substances
or call 13 10 50.

Safety management plan

After you have submitted your application, we will contact you and request to see your safety management plan.

Almost all manufacture licence holders must have a safety management plan in place. It describes the risk management procedures in place to address any hazards and safety risks associated with your licence.

You don't have to do this if you are a licence holder or applicant who:

  • is a Major Hazard Facility (because they already have a completed safety case)
  • only operate a mobile processing unit (MPU), (safety risks are already addressed as per the Australian Explosives Industry Safety Group (AEISG)Code of Practice for MPUs)
  • are located on a mine site and who have satisfied the current NSW Department of Industry management and/or control plan requirements.

More information and an example template is in our safety management plan.

Special requirements

Person responsible for the licence

Companies must nominate a person, involved in the management of the company, to be responsible for the licence. If the nominated person ceases to be the nominated person for that licence, for example if they resign, the company must nominate another person to take responsibility for the licence within seven days.

Security plans

You must submit a security plan (including a site plan and schedule) to ensure all explosives and/or security sensitive dangerous substances are held safely and securely.

Obligations or duties

You must advise us within 14 days of any changes to your licence or contact details, as well as any changes to the type, quantity and location of explosives or security sensitive ammonium nitrate.

We may suspend or cancel a licence or impose penalties on licence holders who do not comply with the conditions of the licence or requirements in the legislation.