Origin Energy Limited
On 23 September 2013, two workers received burns as a result of exposure to an LPG flash fire.
Section 19(1) of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act), as a person with health and safety obligations prescribed under Section 32 of the WHS Act.
Summary of undertaking
Activities Origin Energy Limited will undertake include:
- a Leadership Development Presentation for LPG Leadership Team and Senior Leaders
- a Leadership Development Presentation for NSW Front-line (terminal and driver) supervisors
- a Leadership Development Program for LPG Leadership Team and NSW Front-line (terminal and driver) supervisors
- the installation of a Scavenger Tank System at Origin Energy Limited’s Eden Facility
- the production of two safety videos with respect to LPG
- work with the Concord Hospital Burns Unit
This undertaking has a total expenditure of $340,500.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
- the alleged contravention does not appear to be a section 31 Reckless conduct category 1 offence, which if it was the case, would preclude the proposed undertaking from being accepted
- the nature of the alleged contravention and the actions taken by Origin Energy Limited in response to the incident are assessed as being appropriate for consideration of an undertaking
- the strategies proposed in the undertaking have been assessed as likely to deliver long term sustainable safety improvements in the workplace, industry and community
- the undertaking addresses the requirements contained within the “Enforceable Undertakings – Guidelines for Proposing a WHS Undertaking”
18 March 2016
View the Origin Energy enforceable undertaking.