Management or control of workplaces
Effective management or control of a workplace means ensuring (so far as is reasonably practicable) that there are no health and safety risks to anyone from the workplace or when entering or exiting a workplace.
A workplace can include a vehicle, vessel, aircraft, mobile structure or any installation on water that a worker might be at while at work.
If you are an employer or business (or other PCBU) with management or control of a workplace you should:
- consult with workers
- consult, cooperate and coordinate with other duty holders who also have a shared responsibility to ensure work health and safety
- maintain the workplace and facilities in a safe condition
- implement appropriate procedures for workers who work in remote or isolated worksites
- prepare, implement and practice emergency plans for controlled evacuations in emergencies
This list is not exhaustive. It does not apply to residences unless the residence is occupied for the purpose of conducting a business.
Management or control of fixtures, fittings or plant at workplaces
If you're an employer or business (or other PCBU) with management or control of fixtures, fittings or plant you must ensure the safety of any person in the workplace.
- any machinery, equipment, appliance, container, implement and tool
- any component of any of those things
- anything fitted or connected to any of those things.
This does not apply to residences unless the residence is occupied for the purpose of the conduct of a business or undertaking. Our PCBUs, workers and officers fact sheet has more information management or control of workplaces.