Directors and officers
Officers (including company directors) have obligations to ensure the business complies with its work health and safety obligations under WHS laws.
As an Officer, you must ensure the business has arrangements in place to comply with legal obligations.
Due diligence means you must:
- acquire and keep up to date knowledge of work health and safety matters
- understand the operations of the business and the hazards and risks involved
- ensure appropriate resources and processes are provided to enable hazards to be identified and risks to be eliminated or minimised
- ensure information regarding incidents, hazards and risks is received and the information is responded to in a timely way
- ensure the business has, and implements, processes for complying with any legal duty or obligation
- verify the provision and use of resources and processes.
These elements form part of a unified system for ensuring organisational compliance.
Our PCBUs, workers and officers fact sheet has more information for directors and officers.