The agricultural sector uses a variety of pesticides to protect plants, animals and agricultural products from harmful pests and diseases.
Many of these pesticides contain hazardous chemicals that can have short and long-term health effects if not managed safely.
Know your chemicals
Below is some information on hazardous chemicals you may have come into contact with.
Tips to stay safe
- substitute hazardous chemicals for safer alternatives
- read your up-to-date safety data sheet and labels which will tell you all about the chemicals you are working with as well as how to store and handle them safely
- stay in the loop about banned products
- wear the right protective gear
- consider other ground workers or family who might be exposed eg via clothing
- alert workers and family about the risks associated with the chemicals you are using
- talk to your employer if you are unsure of anything, or contact us
- talk to your doctor if you notice a change in your health
You can also watch our agricultural chemicals and pesticides video safety below for steps on how avoid exposure.