Notifying us

If there is a serious injury or illness, a death or a dangerous incident, you must report it to us immediately and notify your insurer within 48 hours.

You must also:

  • provide first aid and make sure the worker gets the right care
  • record it in the register of injuries
  • help the worker recover at work by identifying and offering suitable employment, staying connected and planning with your worker, their doctor, and your insurer

Problems reporting a workplace injury

If you are a worker and your employer has not notified your workplace injury to the insurer or will not provide you with their workers compensation insurance policy number, our Customer Service Centre (call 13 10 50) can look up the employer details so you can call the insurer direct.

Notifying us

If a notifiable incident occurs, you must notify us immediately on 13 10 50 as an urgent investigation may be needed. The incident site must be preserved until an Inspector attends (or the inspector or regulator directs otherwise).

A "notifiable incident" under the work health and safety legislation relates to:

  • the death of a person
  • a serious injury or illness of a person
  • a potentially dangerous incident

Significant penalties apply if you fail to notify an incident.

Other incidents where workers compensation is payable

You must notify your insurer within 48 hours of becoming aware a worker has received a workplace injury if workers compensation is payable or may be payable (such as for time lost and/or medical expenses). You  may avoid paying a claims excess if there is an injury by notifying your insurer within 48 hours.

Further information

Making a claim

There are a number of steps you have to take after notifying us of an injury or incident if you want to make a claim.

Some of these include:

  • if time off work is needed, see a doctor and have them complete a certificate of capacity
  • provide that certificate of capacity with the worker's declaration completed to your employer or their insurer (attach any bills or receipts for treatment)
  • have an injury management plan
  • make all reasonable efforts to return to work as soon as possible

For more detailed information, see our contact icare who are responsible for workers compensation insurance.